1- Thar coal power plant achieves commercial operations. 2- Court issues notice to Maryam over fake trust deed. . 3- Pakistan to get $1.65 billion net receipts out of $6 billion IMF package.

History of Gwadar Port


Posted on May 23, 2019 at 01:00 PM


Balochistan province is situated at the eastern end of Pakistan and connected with Iranian Plateau. Balochistan is connected with Sistan province of Balochistan. Balochistan's name is originated from Baloch who inhabit in this region, who speaks an Iranian language.

In ancient times, the Balochistan region was a part of the Persian Empire and then inhabited by Iranian and Indian Empire. By the time of rising of Islam in 600 A.D, Balochistan was controlled by the Persian empire and then it was replaced by Arabs and then this control was passed to Rai dynasty of Sindh region. Again the Arabs defeated in 1644 in the Battle of Rasil and conquered the Makran coastal.

In the 11th century, Seljuk dynasty invaded the Persian empire and then invaded in Balochistan region.

This region remains under attack and was ruled by several dynasties. Gwadar is part of Balochistan and it was bought from Muscat dynasty. Pakistan requested the British government to resolve the issue because the British government concluded an agreement with Sultan in March 1891.

Pakistani government continued to raise the Gwadar issue with the British government and it was confirmed that India is also trying to purchase the Gwadar port but the Pakistani government won this case and both countries concluded an agreement on August 1, 1958.

according to the agreement, the Pakistani government agreed to pay an amount of $10 million. Gwadar port was handed over to Pakistan on September 8, 1958, through the British representative. The wali of Muscat handed over possession of Gwadar to the British government and then it was handed over to Pakistani government in British Counsel General in Muscat.

Mr Agha Abdul Hamid was representative who was the Principal Secretary of to Prime Minister and Secretary of cabinet division.

Gwadar was termed as Tehsil of Makran and then in 1977, it was given the status of the district.

In 1882, Sir Charles MacGregor from British government visited Gwadar and travelled along the coast and suggested as a suitable place for modern port but this proposal was rejected due to lack of resources and market feasibility in Central Asia.

In 1971, a proposal was put up to the government to build a port according to international standards but again this project was declined due to the priority of Karachi port and feasibility report of Gwadar.

In People's Party regime, Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto in 1974, offered the United States of America to build a port at Gwadar and use it as a naval base. However, the United States of America declined this project because the US already has a port at Chabahar under the friendly regime of Shah Iran.

The Coastal town of Gwadar was neglected due to lack of interest of Provincial government and no work was carried out since 1988.

In 1988 a Belgium firm was awarded the contract to build a Fishing jetty at Gwadar which was completed in 1992. In 1991 during the concept of deep sea port water, a research committee was formed and it was termed as the deepest seaport.

Gwadar Sea project was approved by the executive committee of the National Economic Council ECNEC in June 1994.

The development was started in 1995 according to the instructions of the government to finance the Gwadar port with a budget of Rs 1 billion. In 1996 the government released Rs 2 billion to develop Gwadar port.

In 2002 a Sino Pak agreement was signed between China and Pakistan to build phase 1 of Gwadar port under COPHC with the total cost of Rs $248 million.

Out of 248 million, Pakistan's total contribution was Rs 50 million whereas the rest was paid by China.


Leave a Comment: